Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Chris and Bea Zimmerman on Phil Africa

Dearest Sister Ramona , Dear Move Family

Our hearts go out to you in this time of mourning the death of a man who was a brother in the truest sense of the word-that is, not only in the sense of shared genes, but a man whose love encompassed a larger , and even larger community.

The great Russian thinker Dostoyevsky once said that a society can be judged by the way it treats it's prisoners . Need anyone say more about the United States of America ?

On a more hopeful note, let us remember the words of Eugene Debs, an old fighter for freedom who made the following observation .

Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living human beings , and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest person on earth. I said then,  and I say now , that while there is a lower class , I am in it  while there is a criminal element , I am of it and while there is a soul in prison , I Am Not Free.

We know that Phil was not mean nor was he a criminal element in any way , shape or form . But he he was indeed a soul in prison- a beautiful soul who never gave up .

True ,he is finally free -but his death behind bars is still shameful , and it ought to mobilize us, if only to renew our own personal pledges to take up the torch in the universal struggle for Justice .Wherever we are ,and what ever  the circumstances , there is more than enough work to do.

Wishing you all the inspiration and courage to keep fighting the fight , we greet you with the old battle cry, Ona Move

Your Brother and Sister Chris and Bea Zimmerman

P.s. We've been working  at a Bruderhof in Germany since 2010 . That's why we can't be with you today. But our hearts are with you . Were still on the same bench, fighting against racism , injustice, etc . For love , brotherhood , sisterhood , peace and freedom. Believe us - there's plenty of scope over here in Europe ! All our love to anyone who remembers us.

No comments: